Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunrise Over the Skyway



I have been doing this shoot every year since my friend, Linda Weekley, told me about it in 2006.

Once a year, the sun rises between the spans of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tierra Verde. I get this shot from East Beach in Ft Desoto. It happens only for 2 days a year, and it's never the same time.

That means that starting in October, I have to check where the sun rises so I can estimate when it'll be right there between the spans. I go probably 2 or 3 times in October, then once a week, down to every couple days to catch it just right. I got lucky this year; my friend, Jim, was there yesterday and let me know today would be the day. Jim is a member of my photography group, and they're all involved with this as well. As a matter of fact, it's become a tradition with the group. We all go out there for sunrise, then go to work from there if it's on a weekday.

I just made it on time today. I usually go at dawn, but today was the day the time changed (from Daylight Savings Time) and I got confused. I got there just before it rose. These are the photos I got from when I got there until it was just right.

If you go back in my blogs, you can compare this year's with each previous year. It's pretty cool.

It's still as exciting to see it today and it was back in 2006 when I caught it for the first time.

4 comments:

Mango said...

You nailed it, Loyce!!!! Beautiful shot and wonderful story. Some year I'll go with you!!!!

Unknown said...

I sure hope so, Margo. Nice hearing from you. I can't wait to see you and hear all about your trip to Africa.

Dina said...

Beautiful shots! It was worth if for you to get up early all those mornings.

Unknown said...

It sure was, Dina. Thank you for your nice comment.