Thursday, April 17, 2008

American Black Duck


This little American Black Duck was looking at me as if to say, "What are you looking at?" He or she was foraging in my yard under the bird feeder for any stray seeds. Usually, they take off when I come out, but this one and her/his mate stayed around for a while. A few of these ducks come back year after year to breed here on the lake.

The Moorhens, who are very territorial, chase them, but the ducks keep returning. Mostly they just fly off a little ways when the Moorhens start after them and the ducks keep coming back--much to my enjoyment. I don't like to see them fight, but it's interesting how such a little bird can get these ducks on the run.

It is so educational living here with all the wild life and birds. I've been here for a little over 2 years at this location and I've photographed more than 40 species and about 30 species with their young. I've learned so much about their habits by observing them. What a great place to live!

Your comments and/or critiques are always welcome and appreciated.

If you like my photos, bookmark this site or visit my website here.

Loyce

No comments: