Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Giant Swallowtail

Giant Swallowtails (Papilio cresphontes), are the one of the 2 largest butterflies in the United States. This one has a wing span of about 5 inches and some have wings spans of 6 inches.

This one was at rest just before dark on one of my bushes so he was an easy shot to make. I checked several times and I was surprised to see that he spent the night right there out in the open.

Their larvae/caterpillars are known in the citrus industry as "orange dogs" and are considered a pest because they feed off the leaves of citrus trees.

4 comments:

Jim S. said...

Nice specimen. The flash exposure makes the image look 3-dimensional. My cat ran out my front door the other day and tried and catch one of these in the front yard. I caught him in mid-air when he jumped and saved the butterfly.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jim. You're lucky your cat didn't scratch you. I'm glad you saved the butterfly.

Mango said...

My turn to give compliments!!! This shot is especially super, Loyce!! I love the detail and crisp edges. Jim is right--feels 3-D. I get a very wonderful feeling when I look at this photo--feeling close to nature. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. It's nice to hear from you.