Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Honey Bees and Nest

During a walk on one of the trails at Boca Ciega Millennium Park in Seminole, my friends and I came upon this bees' nest high up in a tree.

You can imagine this was shot with a very, long lens. I'm allergic to bee stings, so I didn't want to aggravate these little buggers. All I could think of was that movie, "My Girl", with McCauly Culkin (spelling probably wrong).

I've never seen a nest with the honey combs sticking out of it before and thought this was kind of interesting. There must be thousands of bees on this thing! It's definitely a bee keeper's dream.

Honey anyone?

Settings used for this shot were F7.1 (my sharpest aperture) at 1/30th and ISO 100. Because I was using partial metering, and the yellows and sky were blowing out (according to my histogram), I used a compensation adjustment of -1 1/3 stops. The focal length was 194mm with my 55-250mm lens.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

Wow, what an interesting find! Nicely exposed in what I can see was a tricky, partially backlit situation.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. Actually I had to make 4 of these before I got the exposure right.

Mango said...

Amazing shot, Loyce. How did you ever find this! I've never seen anything like it. The honey combs make the shot--great detail. Wow! It's all about getting out there, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I've never in my life seen the honey combs on a nest sticking out like this. Amazing! I'll tell you what, I didn't want to disturb them, that's for sure!