Friday, October 9, 2009

St Petersburg Skyline

My friend, Frank, and I went to The Pier in St Petersburg last week to try to capture the sunset over the St Petersburg skyline. We didn't get a lot of clouds, but the color was awesome.

This is one of our favorite haunts. We go up to the 5th floor observation deck where Cha Cha Coconuts restaurant is and shoot to our hearts content. The best thing is the wait staff will serve us out on the deck.

This is one of my favorite images from the shoot. It was shot using my Canon 20D with an 18-55mm lens. I usually don't shoot this skyline wide angle, but for some reason, I decided to give it a try and I like the results. Settings were 1/40th at F4.5 aperture, -1/3 stop eV, in aperture priority mode and average metering at ISO 400 at the 18mm focal length. I chose these settings because they're a little different from my normal settings and was looking to shoot this differently than I usually do.

I've been striving to capture images differently than what I usually see looking for the creativity in my vision. I'm very happy with the results.

3 comments:

Mango said...

Incredible shot, Loyce. You take us right into the city, over the dappled water, light playing on everything, the skyline crisp but soft with sunset. Really lovely color. I want to see this with my own eyes some day. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I'm thrilled you like it. You'll be able to do this shoot when you're in town. St Pete is only 40 minutes from Safety Harbor and you'll have a great guide--me!

Mango said...

Yippee!