Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pilings

While I was at The Pier with my friend, Frank, a week-and-a-half ago, I spotted the reflections of these pilings in the water. I rarely shoot anything like this, but for some unexplainable reason, I just happened to like the way they looked.

It's not my usual style, but like I've mentioned in several blogs lately, I've been working on my creativity instead of just walking up to something that looks neat, snap it and quickly walk away. I have a name for that kind of shooting. I call it a "walk up shooter". It's just this type of shooting that I've been trying to work on for several months now. I'm doing a whole lot more thinking and planning a shot before I squeeze that shutter button. Does it work? I'm not sure, but I do like this one. How do you all feel? Let me know in your comments. It would be imteresting to hear someone else's opinion.

Settings used for this shot were handheld 1/2000 at F5.6, Aperture Priority in spot focusing mode (on the reflections), ISO 400 at 240mm with my 55-250mm lens and +1/3 exposure compensation, which I judged by my histogram which was a little to the left side.

It's sometimes difficult to judge your exposure in your viewfinder window. Always trust your histogram. It never lies.

4 comments:

Mango said...

I like it, Loyce. You're right, it's not what you usually show us so it's a fresh look. It's neat to see a seasoned professional cast around for change and something different. I looked back at your recent body of work and noticed some distinctive shots: Causeway Memorial Bridge, Embassy Suites Hotel at Ybor City, Keyboards, Ferris Wheel, Florida State Fair, Marque for Theater, Sea Oats, Canna Lily Leaf, and others. Good luck with your experimentation!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. You really HAVE been following my blog. I knew I had posted some before, but didn't realize it was that many.

I think we all have to evolve, or we become stale and bored--especially when we keep doing what we're doing. That leaves no room for growth.

Jim S. said...

I finally had a minute now that I'm back to catch up on your blog. I've been busy and under the weather. This image was a pleasant surprise to pop in on. This is my kind of shot.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. That means a lot to me coming from you. :)