Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chicken Turtle and American Alligator

Note to my followers: I must apologize for getting out of my normal routine of posting one photo a day. I've been not feeling well, and terribly busy these past couple weeks.


This Chicken Turtle certainly isn't living up to his name as he sits atop an American Alligator's head. He must know that Alligators go into a semi-hibernation in the winter months and don't eat during this time. They go without food for approximately 4 months, living off their body fat.

This image was photographed Christmas day at Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. I took my grandson to the park as part of his Christmas gift. We got off to a late start because it was raining in the morning, so we waiting for it to clear up. We still had a great time and stayed until closing.

Chicken Turtles can be found in shallows and fresh water, while American Alligators can be found in ponds, rivers, swamps, both fresh and brackish marshes, mangroves, canals and oceans (rarely) throughout Florida and the southern states.

This image was captured with my Canon 40D, Canon 55-250mm lens at 131mm, in late afternoon on a cloudy day. I used 400 ISO, in Aperture priority mode and partial metering off the turtle at 1/20 and F5.6.

4 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

What a great catch!!! I've never seen nor heard of this turtle behavior! This guy must either be very smart or very brave. Great image, and what a fun time to share with your grandson.

Unknown said...

I've never seen it before, either. I agree, he's either very smart or very brave. In either case, he sure doesn't live up to his name. :)

Mango said...

Amazing photo, Loyce! It's great to see your posts again. Holidays can be exhausting--my last visitors just left! I hope to see you Monday!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. It's great to be able to find the time to be posting again! I hope I don't get all tied up again. I just need to manage my time a bit better and don't bite off more than I can chew.

I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.