Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lyman and Pat

My friends, Lyman and his brand new wife, Pat (as she likes to be called when in America) were married on the 30th of November on a little bridge that separates the Unity church and the Buddhist temple in Tampa. They had his minister and her monk officiate.

They met last year while Lyman was doing business in Thailand. He has a factory there, so he goes to Thailand every year for about 4 or 5 months to make sure everything is running all right.

They've had this long-distance relationship for the last year and now they've finally married. Lyman has had some serious health problems in the last few months and hopefully it'll all be ironed out before they leave to go back to Thailand in January. They'll be there for 4 or 5 months, then come back to Florida to live.

Lyman has been my friend for a few years now, and Pat has been my friend since she came to Florida last year. She is the sweetest girl and will make a good wife to Lyman. I'm very happy for both of them.

When Pat was here last year, she could barely speak English and was very shy. This year, I couldn't believe how well she speaks English. You'd think she'd been here for years. She says Lyman's been helping her to learn. But I think it's been sheer determination on her part that helped her to learn our language that quickly. Amazingly, since she can now speak the language well, she doesn't seem as shy.

They are both good friends and I wish them all the luck and happiness in the world.

4 comments:

Mango said...

Beautiful photo of Lyman & Pat and a WONDERFUL story. I believe in determination--she has worked hard to fit in and become part of Lyman's world and I look forward to meeting this gentle Thai person soon. Sawadeeka, Pat!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, Margo, they're a wonderful couple and I just love Pat. She's so sweet.

Jim S said...

That's a nice shot of the newlyweds. It's nice that you could be there. I had to miss out.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. The Safety Harbor Grille put on a great little impromptu reception for them. We had a great time. You were definitely missed.