Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lake Seminole in HDR

Today I took my students to Lake Seminole Park for a lesson on exposure. This is one of the original images I made with the class. This image looked like it would make an excellent HDR study, so I tried it with this one. When I downloaded my photos to my computer, I noticed that I deleted the -2 stop exposure by mistake, so I made a pseudo HDR. I'm surprised it came out so well from one image.

The second image is the HDR image. As you can see, this one is much, much better. I don't like HDR when it's done over the top. It seems to present unnatural colors and a lot of noise, and I'm very happy with the way this one turned out. It's much brighter, the colors are more saturated and vibrant, and it's natural and believable.

Settings used for the original image are, ISO 200 because it is a cloudy day and the sensor needs more light for a proper exposure, Aperture Priority mode, which I use for about 95% of all my photography. The shutter speed was 1/100 at F7.1, which is the sharpest or sweet spot of my lens, 0 exposure compensation, with partial metering off the trees, which was the most important part of the scene (actually the greenery and reflections), 36mm with my 18-55mm lens.

6 comments:

Mango said...

Great lesson, Loyce. The HDR image is VERY pleasing and I like it a lot. The composition is lovely, so nicely balanced and serene looking. Great to see you blogging again!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. Sorry I missed you tonight. It was just too cold and windy to sit around the water in SH. I'm hoping it warms up soon.

Jim S said...

Very nicely done. it's good to see you back on-line. hope you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. My foot is trying to heal. Unfortunately, I'm working on it and never got it treated, so it'll probably take a lot longer to heal.

What Karen Sees said...

Very nice use of HDR. I like the subtle enhancements that bring this scene to life.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. I'm just learning HDR processing, hoping for a more natural look, rather than some of the over processed looks I've seen.