Thursday, February 11, 2010

African White Pelican (digital art)

I follow many blogs and read many newsletters and web articles like so many of us photographers. This technique caught my eye while reading one of my favorite newsletters from Artie Morris, who, in my opinion is the greatest bird photographer of all time.

This image was created using a plug-in program for Adobe Photoshop, called Fractalius. It doesn't do the complete job for you. After you apply the filter and come fairly close to what you want by adjusting the sliders, it must be brought back into Photoshop to finish up. This image probably took about 1/2 hour to complete. I like the effect, although it's not something I would be doing a lot of anytime soon.

Like most special effects, they should be used in moderation; not on every image. I'm a photojournalist by profession, so I'm more into realism than the average person. I have fun once in a while playing around with filters and special effects, but I don't think it's something I'd like to do all the time.

The second image is the original file, as you can see in order for something like this to work, it has to start with a strong image. You can't make something out of nothing.

The image was taken during a special showing by the staff of Lowrey Park Zoo. They allowed us to go behind the scenes in an area not open to the general public to make this and other shots in return for the use of some of our shots in their publications. It's a win-win situation. The staff was wonderful, telling us all about these beautiful birds as well as other birds at the zoo. It will be my pleasure to allow them to use my photos on any of their publications.

9 comments:

Mango said...

Dazzling, eye-popping, and very cool, Loyce. Indeed, a very strong photo! Like you, however, I am drawn more to the original file (when it comes to wildlife). Thanks for a new idea.

Mango said...

P.S. What a gorgeous bird--a privilege to photograph!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. Guess what? Because Frank's camera messed up, we get to go again. This time in late March--you'll be here, so you get to photograph these beautiful birds as well!

Jim S. said...

That certainly is an interesting effect. Thanks for posting the original for comparison. I can't help but imagine what that would look like if you could have it printed on black velvet.

Anonymous said...

Are very nice pictures. Iam an non profesionall ilustrator and like to take pictures of roses, because thy contast with the bottom of the landscape.
I liked the photo of circle-spider specially.

What Karen Sees said...

I have seen this filter used a lot on the photo websites I visit and have never liked the results. Now I think it's because it was not used 'with moderation.' Your photo is indeed stunning! It is fun to get out of one's comfort zone, and learn to appreciate new styles. I, too, echo "Mango", however, that especially for wildlife, I love, love, love your original.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen, so much for your comment, Karen. I like the original as well and I agree that these filters must be used in moderation. It's a lot of fun to fool around occasionally with various filters and techniques. However, many photographers overdo it. Once in a while, it's OK; however, I wouldn't want to make this my "style".

I'm a photojournalist by trade and therefore I love realism. I do like to step out of my comfort zone once in a while. It keeps things fresh--at least for me.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much, Patricio.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I'll bet it would be beautiful on black velvet. I can just imagine how that would look.