Monday, February 1, 2010

Crab-like Spiny Orb Weaver

This Crab-like Spiny Orb Weaver is one of my favorite spiders to photograph. I like their smiley faces on their backs and their colors.

These spiders are fairly common in this part of Florida. I can see them on most any days in my backyard; which is where I spotted this one. They're pretty small, only about 3/8" in diameter, but their webs are distinct, so they're easy to spot. They can be found in woodland edges and shrubby gardens and their favorite food is small insects.

Settings used for making this image are as follows: ISO 400, partial metering off the spider in aperture priority mode; 1/250 at F10 for greater depth of field and +1 2/3 exposure compensation because he was backlit against the sky and I wanted to retain detail in his head. I used fill flash at -2 exposure compensation to keep the whites from blowing out and I used my Tamron F2.8 90mm macro lens. This was shot hand held; but I recommend using a tripod whenever shooting macro shots. In this case, this spider was quite a bit over my head, so a tripod wasn't practical.

8 comments:

Mango said...

Jaw-dropping beautiful!!!! Wonderful detail and color, composition, a sense of his habitat--the web....really cool shot, Loyce! Great info too.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Margo. This is what a dedicated macro lens can do. It can also be done with close-up filters that are very inexpensive.

What Karen Sees said...

Wow, I love this! First of all, I've never seen this spider before. He is such an interesting looking fellow, I can see why he is a favorite to photograph. He looks mean, however, and I think if I saw him in my garden I'd keep my distance. Is he poisonous?? Your composition and exposure is flawless and really shows off this little guy to perfection. I think my next purchase is going to be a macro lens!! P.S. Thanks for your kind words about my recent 'Tech Talk'. I really appreciate your comments!.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Karen. They do look mean, but from what I've heard, they're harmless. I must admit though, when I'm shooting macro, I'm a bit nervous. All I can think of is getting this spider caught in my hair. :)

Likewise, I appreciate your comments as well. Thank you so much!

Jim S. said...

I like these spiders too. They have such an unusual shape and bright colors. Nice macro.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim.

Chantal Larochelle said...

Beautiful shot!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much!