Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tarpon Lake Scenic

We had a "girls" morning out on Friday morning, bright and early. Four of us went to John Chestnut, Jr Park in Palm Harbor for 7:00 am to try our luck at catching a few Deer.

We saw plenty of Deer all morning, but in low light, they're pretty hard to shoot through the fog and darkness. I did get a couple shots that I'm fairly happy with, but I had to increase my ISO to 800. That high of an ISO nearly always degrades the shot. So, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Maybe if it's a once in a lifetime shot, it's worth the trouble to clean up the shot; other than for that reason, it's just not worth it to me.

Personally, I'm happier with the scenics I shot that early in the morning. I'm more into waterscapes than I am into landscapes. It could be that I just don't "see" the landscapes we have in Florida. I'm a native New Englander, and used to landscapes with mountains, rolling hills, etc.

This one is one of my favorite that I shot this morning. I like the way the clouds and sky are reflected in the water, yet cannot be seen in the sky. That's pretty weird, isn't it? I'll probably be posting my Deer shots at a later time once I get all the editing done.

Settings used in this image taken in the early morning just as the fog/mist was lifting: ISO 400, 1/800 at F4.0, normally I don't make landscapes at F4.0, but I wasn't really trying to keep the background sharp, just the water and reeds, -2/3 exposure compensation to keep the sky from washing out completely, with partial metering on the reeds at 55mm with my 55-250mm trusty walk-around lens.

7 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

Beautiful image! I really like your composition focusing on the reflection and not the sky. Lovely soft colors, great DOF and great exposure. I like how you give all the technical info with your images. It really helps to see how you got the shot. You mentioned Florida landscapes. I've become acquainted with another Florida photographer via a website called webaperture.com He is truly an artist with all types of photography but his Florida landscapes are out of this world. Check out one of his galleries I've listed below, and let me know what you think. I know he very skillfully must do considerable post processing work, but it looks so beautiful and nature. Here it is:
http://www.webaperture.com/gallery/g/si////4290

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. I'll definitely check out this gallery.

Unknown said...

That guy's photos are amazing. I wish I had the eye and 1/2 the talent he has. Beautiful work.

Mango said...

Loyce, this water-scape is wonderfully soft and serene looking. I love the reflections of the grasses and clouds (in the water!). The whole shot give me a smooth and pleasing feeling. I also appreciate your explanation of the difficulty finding balance between high ISO setting and low light (when photographing deer in early morning hours). Great teaching point!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. The reflections and the reeds are what really makes this photo work.

Jim S. said...

That's a nice, serene landscape, very calming to look at. I see you noticed the difference in exposure values between the actual sky and the reflected sky. That's typical in a daylight reflection shot. the reflected image in the water will generally be 1 to 2 stops darker than the non-reflected scene. The effect can balanced with the use of a graduated neutral density filter or via multiple exposure compositing or HDR techniques.

Unknown said...

Thank you for explaining the difference between the reflected clouds and the actual clouds. I don't know why I didn't figure that out. It's amazing how much we learn through photography.

I'll have to try to remember to either shoot for HDR and carry my tripod (UGH), or use an ND filter. I have one, I just don't think to use it except for waterfalls and sunsets.