Friday, April 23, 2010

Black-crowned Night Heron

After getting home from vacation, and taking a break outside yesterday morning, I spotted this Black-crowned Night Heron hunting on the banks of Joe's Creek, in my backyard.

This is the first time I find one of these guys in this area. I know they're around; but the Black-crowned Night Heron is very secretive, unlike his counterpart, the Yellow-crowned Night Heron. I see them at all times of day and night anywhere I go in Florida. This Black-crowned Night Heron is a rarity and quite a treat for me.

It was about 7:30 in the morning and the water was very still, which made a beautiful reflection for me to capture. What about a nice bonus. Be sure to click on the photo for a larger version so you can see the detail. It may not be my best avian shot, but I like this one because it's a rare opportunity to see one of these birds.

2 comments:

Jim S. said...

You're right, there is a lot more detail in the larger version. Hope you had a nice vacation. looking forward to more pics now that you are back.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I had a wonderful vacation, and love being with my beautiful grandkids. I'm hoping to get caught up with my posts soon and taking more photos now that I'm home.