Monday, April 26, 2010

Indian Blanket Flower

While playing around with my macro lens at Veterans' Memorial Garden at the Safety Harbor Marina a couple weeks ago, I came across this beautiful Indian Blanket Flower and couldn't resist a closeup of the stamen. (Click on the photo to see better detail.)

This flower is also known as Blanket Flower or it's proper name is Gaillardia. The scientific name is Gaillardia aristata. It is in the Compositae family and named after Gaillard de Marentonneau, a French magistrate and patron of botany.

Gaillardia is a herbaceous perennial that comes in many varieties; but this one is my favorite. I love the colors and the fact that they can be found most anywhere in Florida. I've even seen them growing wild on the side of the road. They are one of my favorite flowers and they're right up there with Day Lilies.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Loyce, beautiful shot. I like the colors and details in the image. I will try to take more closeups in the future.

Jim S said...

Nice macro. I'm not much of a flower person but I always do like this particular variety when I see them.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Jim. I love the colors.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Andrea. This one was hand held. You know me, too lazy to setup a tripod.

What Karen Sees said...

Beautiful macro. I just spent an early morning at Temple Square where the spring flowers are always so amazing. I think it is time I invest in a macro lens. Especially for spring and summer flowers and garden shots.

Unknown said...

I have so much fun with my macro lens, Karen. You'll love it if you buy one.

I love taking macros of bugs. Their colors are amazing, and you can't see that with the naked eye. They're really interesting.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my photos.

Mango said...

These macro shots give us insight to the depth and complexity of ordinary things around us. Keep it up, Loyce, it's marvelous!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I have a lot of fun with my macro lens. I just don't use it as much as I'd like to. I don't even think about it when I'm going out to shoot.