Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Miracle Grandbabies

I just got back from vacation in NY visiting my miracle grandchildren. Miracle, you ask?

For those of you who don't know, these children were born extremely premature. Three of them were not expected to make it. They were just too small and too underdeveloped due to their prematurity. Crouse Hospital in Syracuse did an amazing job helping these tiny little babies to survive.

On the 18th, the triplets (top row from left), Noah, Nicholas and Nathaniel celebrated their 9th birthday and on the 22nd, the twins, Austin and Alexis, celebrated their 7th birthday. I was fortunate enough to be able to be with them on their birthdays. I'm thankful for that.

When the triplets were born, I told their mother I'd only stay for 2 months to help them and their nanny out. It was impossible to leave. I stayed 4 1/2 years helping to take care of them until finally the twins were in school all day before coming back to Florida. You can all imagine how much I miss them.

They had a birthday party with 32 other children, friends from school, Little League and family friends' children at the "Bouncy House" in Oswego. They all had a blast. For 2 hours they all ran around playing various video games and playing on the bouncy slide and bouncy house. What a thrill it was to watch them having so much fun.

I'm going to miss them once again, until my next visit to NY. :(

I realize this is not my best work, but a snapshot is the most I could expect under the circumstances. These kids just won't sit still and/or stop fooling around long enough for a decent photo of them. One of these days, I'll have to bring my lights, backgrounds, etc. to setup a nice formal portrait; but until then, I'll treasure this one.

6 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

What beautiful children, and this portrait is priceless! I can see why you are a proud grandma. I have 9 beautiful grandchildren, one who is now living in heaven. Almost 2 years ago Gavin passed away peacefully while sleeping at our home. He was 14 months old and perfectly healthy. He was our son & daughter-in-law's only child. They now have another beautiful son, but the pain will always be with us!

Mango said...

Loyce, you are back!!! I've been thinking about you every day, wondering about the kids, Then I see this photo and read your blog and it answers all my questions. Totally heart-warming! It's beautiful to see a part of your other life. Welcome home.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Karen; that's so sad. I don't know how I could get over an incident like that. It must have been so terrible for you.

I'm happy they have another baby, but this one could not come close to replacing their first born.

Some day, they'll all be together in heaven, I'm sure of that.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. They are beautiful, aren't they?

Yes, I got back late Wednesday afternoon; totally exhausted. All week, I had at least 2 of them sleeping with me in one of the triplets bunk bed. It's a nice exhausted, if you know what I mean and totally worth it.

I miss them already!

Anonymous said...

Mom, I know this is not your best work; however, regardless the photographers background and experience none have mastered capturing the perfect moment! I know because these children are mine :). No, I am not telling you that because you know that already lol I just dont want you to feel like you need to critique your work. The best shot of kids as you well know are those that are not planned. Put my children in a pose and you can forget cooperation! I love the picture and you did just fine. None of the kids want to be away from your lap, legs, arms, and love. With that being said how can the most perfect setting be perfect without Grandma in it? Never! No matter what the background, prop, lighting, or timing - you can not be the photographer you have to always be in the picture! Sorry, thats the rule according to the law of any child or grandchild. Love you always and thank you for posting this as well, thank you for taking the time to capture the moment!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Sussie. Yes, these are your children and they're beautiful. You're so right when you say all they want is to be on Grammy's lap, or touching. It's hard trying to give them all the loving that they want from me. I love holding them and playing with them. It was too long this time between visits. I've just got to find a happy medium and try to see them more often.