Friday, February 13, 2009

Ferris Wheel


This is another of my favorite images from the Florida State Fair in Tampa, FL.

The light was fading pretty fast and my tripod was in the car, so I put my trusty Tamron F2.8 35-105mm lens on and hoped for the best. Lucky for me, there was enough ambient light to hand hold my lens to make this shot of this Ferris Wheel.

I have to admit that I was surprised that I was able to handhold this lens and still get a sharp image. This was only one of many I took that night that came out this well. I was able to keep many of the shots.

One thing that also helped is that I always shoot in bursts of 3 shots when I'm hand holding my lens. I figure the 1st shot, there's apt to be some camera shake while I'm pressing the shutter button, while my second shot is made while the shutter button is already being held down. The final shot is made when I'm releasing the shutter so the potential for camera shake exists. Most of the time, the second shot is the sharpest and shows the least movement if any. This shot proves my theory.

No comments: