Sunday, May 2, 2010

Letters in Nature Project


First of all, I want all my readers to know that these are not my photos.

These were taken by my grandchildren, ages 7 (the twins) and 9 (the triplets). We took a walk into the woods on their property for a photo project that I sometimes have my students do as an assignment in learning to "see".

They all took turns using my point-n-shoot camera and I told them they have to find letters of the alphabet in nature. One of the rules were that nothing could be changed. They couldn't add, move or remove anything. These are a few of the photos they took in less than an hour.

We covered most of the alphabet. When one of them spotted a letter, they got to take the shot. This is a great exercise to improve your own eye. It's actually easier than it looks, and hey, if 7 and 9-yr. olds can do it, so can you!

Other than slight cropping to make the letter more obvious, these are straight out of the camera. These kids did a great job; don't you think?



6 comments:

Jim S said...

It's great that you are able to do something that's both educational and fun like that with the kids. From what I see here they have great imaginations. I don't know that I could do as well if I gave it a try.

Unknown said...

It's a lot of fun and it really trains your eye to see things you wouldn't normally notice.

Thanks, Jim.

Mango said...

This post is so you! Ever the teacher and guide. The kids did so well--I'm going to try it now!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your results, Margo.

What Karen Sees said...

How fun. I gave all my grandkids camera's for Christmas, but I haven't asked to see any of the photos they've taken.

Unknown said...

Karen, maybe the next time you're with them, you can give them a project so you can see the pictures. I'm going to pick cameras up for all of them for this Christmas. Of course, then I'll have to teach their father how to upload them. He bought the computer for them and knows nothing about computers. It'll be fun teaching him. :P