Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Phillip

During my vacation in CT, I had the pleasure of attending one of my brother, Phillip's, Karate classes at his Dojo.

Phillip has been studying Karate as long as I've been a photographer, since the late '70's. He's a Black Belt and in this class he's teaching some of his students. In this shot, he's explaining a new Kata they'll be working on. His Dojo is not air-conditioned, and it was really hot; very hot for this time of year in CT.

I stayed for this class, then Phillip's advanced class which was taught by his long-time instructor, Tom. They were working on they're own Kata with the Bow (I'm not sure how it is spelled). They were getting ready for a demonstration for the next day.

The last time I photographed Phillip in one of his Karate classes or demonstrations was in the '80's.

2 comments:

Mango said...

Wonderful portrait of your brother, Loyce! Very special. Great lighting on face and shadow behind with detached Dojo eyes. And the red bandana! I also like the way you put him at the edge of the frame. Konichiwa.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Margo. I liked this one a lot. I hope he does, too. We'll see when he gets the pix.