Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Nubble Light

One of the first stops in Maine, even before we checked into the hotel, we went to see the Nubble Light. The Nubble Light is in Cape Neddick near the entrance to the York River. The nearest town is York, Maine. We got there fairly early in the morning, so the clouds didn't have a chance to build.

The Nubble Light was built in 1879, but not automated until 1987. It sits on top of the shoals and there is a little bucket that runs on a wire to get groceries for the keeper. Sometimes, during low tide, one can walk across the channel to get to the mainland. The grounds are not open to the public.

This photo was shot from Sohier Park, which was donated by William Davies Sohier. One interesting fact is that the house was built in such a way that each point on the house points to North, South, East and West.

4 comments:

Jim S. said...

Hope you had a great trip. I love backlighting and it really made for a beautiful image. You turned a tricky exposure situation into a great shot here.

ebed said...

Hi Loyce..

I have always wanted a house on a hill. Can't imagine how gorgeous is the view from there when sunset/sunrise..

Good shots..
Nice reading your blog..

Shalom!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I had one of the best vacations in my life. I can't believe how beautiful it was in Maine. Every day we were there, I had clear weather and beautiful clouds to make some of the most beautiful photos I've ever done.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Ebed_Adonai. I could only imagine living in a place like this. Unbelievable!