Thursday, July 22, 2010

Amaryllis

My Amaryllis, Belladonna cultivar from my backyard.

I started these plants a couple years ago with 21 bulbs. At the time, the directions said to plant them 12" apart. To me, they looked too sparse like that because I know zip about gardening. So, I planted them a bit closer. Now I have probably 40 plants all crowded in together. I've read that they can be propagated through division, but I have no idea what that means, let alone how to do it.

I love these flowers. They're the only flowers in my yard that my roommate doesn't destroy because he likes them, too. All the others are whacked to the ground every time he mows. It breaks my heart every time he does that. It's his house and I'm a renter, so I have no choice in the matter. I just won't buy any more plants.

These flower twice a year and they're just about done now. I think there's only 2 or 3 clusters left. The flowering period lasts about a month and they're just so beautiful. According to my plant books, there's supposed to be only about 4-6 flowers per stalk. These have 6-9!

I'm sad to see them go and can't wait for the next flowering period. I'll miss them.

4 comments:

Mango said...

I love these flowers and your story! When I arrive, we are going to divide them and make twice as many!!! Great post, Loyce!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I can't wait to see you. It's been quite a while...

Mami said...

what a beautiful hot pink!!
You'll miss the next flowering!
Look forward the next post about the flowers!!

Unknown said...

Oh yes I will miss them, Mami. Thank you for your nice comment.