Friday, July 9, 2010

Incoming Storm

I'm figuring you're all sick of my Maine photos, so I'll stick this one in to show that I'm still out there photographing at home.

On Monday evening, while out with my friends in Safety Harbor, a storm started to roll in over the pier at the Safety Harbor Marina. We were all hoping for some lightning photos, but no luck.

The storm never really hit. All we got were a few sprinkles. It sure looked a lot meaner than that when it was coming.

Florida weather in the summertime is unpredictable. One never knows when a storm will come up. It hits fast, hard and most times the rain is horizontal. It usually only lasts for a about 1/2 hour, then the sun comes out and dries everything up within another 1/2 hour. Most of the time there is heavy lightning and lots of thunder. This storm had no lightning and no thunder, which is unusual this time of year. Tampa Bay is known as the lightning capital of the world.

2 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

Hi Loyce,
Looks like you have had a busy summer. I've enjoyed looking at what you've seen in your travels. You've got some wonderful shots, as always. Some day I'd really like to see Florida (with my camera).

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. If "someday" ever comes and you're in the Tampa Bay area, give me a shout. I'd love to show you around. :)