Friday, July 30, 2010

Southeastern Lubber Grasshopper

This time of year, one can find these giant Grasshoppers most anywhere in Florida.

The Southeastern Lubber Grasshopper (Romalea mycroptera) is a flightless, slow moving grasshopper with a voracious appetite. They can quickly destroy the largest leaves. They cause wide-spread damage where ever they're found. When disturbed, they emit a foul-smelling secretion.

I've seen them walking around on the sidewalks, on my patio chairs, table and in the grass, along roadsides, field edges and salt marshes. They can be found in the southeastern and south central parts of the US.

7 comments:

Mango said...

Beautiful color and detail! Nature is art.

Jim S said...

When my daughter was little she used to catch them and play with them every summer. She had great fun making temporary pets of them. They must be pretty easy-going in temperament. She never managed to disturb any of them enough to cause the foul-smelling secretions you mention.

Unknown said...

That's so cool, Jim. I'm willing to bet they would make good "temporary" pets. I've chased them off my patio chairs and have never smelled anything foul-smelling either. They must have a good temperament.

Thank you for your comment. That's an interesting story. :)

What Karen Sees said...

Oh My!!! I just took a photo of a grasshopper sitting on a corn leaf.
this morning and he looks absolutely boring compared to this fellow! This guy is beautiful. Should be a lesson. Everything beautiful is not nice!!! Our grasshoppers may be boring to look at, but they are also very destructive.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. Yes, I think these grasshoppers are beautiful, but they are very destructive.

Kannan said...

Very good post.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Kannan. :)