Monday, July 5, 2010

Last of the Monastery

These are the last of the St Anthony's Franciscan Monastery photos. I hope I haven't bored you all to death with these. As you can imagine, I was quite taken up with this beautiful place.

The image of St Francis of Assisi shows the whole fountain. It is located at the beginning of the walking trail, which winds around through the woods adjacent to the Kennebunk River.


The next image is of the Shrine to St Anthony just inside the entrance of the Monastery. This was also created by the same artist that won several gold medals at the 1964 World's Fair. In case you haven't been following, his name is, Professor Vytautas Jonynas.

And finally, we have a long view of the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, which shows the prayer benches. I have posted closeup views in my previous post. This shrine was constructed in Lithuanian architectural style by Jonas Mulokas, winner of the First Prize if the American Architects Associated.

I hope you have enjoyed my journey on the grounds of the St Anthony's Franciscan Monastery. If you ever get up to the Kennebunk area of Maine, this is a must see.

No comments: