Saturday, March 14, 2009

Eruasian Colored Dove


It's funny, I go to all these places, spending a lot of money on gas, when I have all these wonderful opportunities to photograph birds and wildlife right in my own backyard. Sometimes, I just don't know why I do that.

This beautiful Eurasian Colored Dove was walking around the yard looking for something to eat. She didn't even notice me with my camera. If she did, she didn't much care. She was focused on entirely something else. I was sitting just a few feet from her.

The reason I say her, is because now she is in my Palm tree in the front yard sitting on a nest. I can't wait for her eggs to hatch when I can photograph the cute little hatchlings.

Eurasian Colored Doves were introduced from Europe to the Bahamas in the late 1970s. They are now well-established throughout the southeastern United States. They have even been spotted in other areas. Their population is spreading and increasing. They are ground feeders and eat mostly seeds, grain and some insects.

No comments: