Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wood Stork in Flight

My friends and I went out to a place Cheryl knew about tonight. She found a Rookery!

We were so amazed at all the different species in one place. There were Great Egret, Wood Storks, Glossy Ibis, White Ibis, Little Blue Herons, Tricolored Herons, Anhingas and Snowy Egrets nesting there.

It was so amazing to see the different species coming in to roost in huge flocks. The hardest ones to shoot in flight were the Tricolored Herons. They fly in a sort of zig-zag, flip-flop fashion and as fast as a jet! What a thrill to try to capture one of them. They're so small and they fly so fast.

I just got home after shooting 6 Gb of photos and this is the first one of the bunch I spotted while quickly going through the photos. I'm excited about seeing the rest, but it's 11:00 pm and time to get some shut eye. I'll be posting more from this shoot at a later time.

No comments: