Friday, August 28, 2009

Causeway Memorial Bridge 3

This image was taken the same day as the other two I posted, except it was taken before dark when the sky was a pure white overcast. There was no interest in the sky and no interest in the photo. The original is pretty blah, if I say so myself.

While I was reading Rick Sammon's tweet on Twitter, he challenged everyone to create an illusion using a plug-in and post it on his facebook and his site. It's not a contest, just a challenge. Since I don't have many plug-ins and the ones I have I've never had occasion to use until today. I couldn't figure out how to use the one I just won. I'll have to spend some time with the tutorials from AutoFx.com to learn how to use it.

In the meantime, I had to do something, so I came up with this. I almost deleted the original, but something told me it would be perfect for fooling around in Photoshop and/or Lightroom so I loaded Dynamic HDR and ran the pseudo HDR twice on it. This is what I came up with. I think it looks a whole lot better than the original.

Here's the original:
What do you think?

4 comments:

Gary said...

Yes, really cool. I love the treatment very much. It looks otherworldly.

Unknown said...

Thanks Gary. It was so blah, I just HAD to do something with it.

Jim S said...

Just looking at the original I think you have the makings of a nice black and white image there as well. Not one with striking contrast but rather one with a long tonal range that should stretch beautifully from black to white with lots of subtleties in the midtones.

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to give that a try, Jim. I just love to photograph bridges. For reasons I don't understand since I'm afraid of heights and water. You'd think I'd never want to be near them. Isn't that weird?