Monday, August 17, 2009

Memorial Causeway Bridge

I've photographed this bridge many times, each time trying to do a better job with it. This is one of my favorite images shot last night during one of my teaching sessions.

It was shot fairly late and we had been waiting for a sunset that never happened, so we decided to wait a while longer to see if we'd get anything in the sky besides clouds. Even lightning would've been great after waiting so long.

Sunset was supposed to happen at 8:10 pm, but with the heavy cloud cover, we got nothing! No sun; actually, no sun all day which is unusual in Florida.

Last year, the City of Clearwater had planned to build slips along the beach just under this bridge. Everyone was disappointed because this is such a nice, quiet area. People from all over come by to sit on the benches and watch the sun set at this spot. Something must have changed the city's plans, because they built this fishing pier instead. While it does change the view quite a bit, we were trying to find an angle where we could work with it. I think this may be the best angle, but I'm not so sure. It's so close to the bridge, it's impossible to get the bridge by itself from this location. I don't think this is so bad; but we'll just have to work a little harder to get a nice view. I'll keep trying, though.

Techs are: shot at 8:18pm, in aperture priority mode for 1/4 sec at F7.1 using ISO 200 to minimize noise, with partial metering off the bridge at what looked like about 18% gray about 1/3 into the shot to maximize depth of field with my Canon 20D and an 18-55mm lens at 27mm.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

I like this one a whole lot. The lines, shapes, and colors are all very appealing to my eye. You just can't beat the azure blue sky color that a slow shutter speed renders in a twilight sky. Getting it reflected in the water's surface is extra sweet. That sky color is why I usually like the after sunset shots better than the ones taken at sunset. Good job.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I agree with you on the color of the sky. While sunsets are beautiful, they are still common. Everyone makes sunset shots. I'm trying to get something different than what we normally see. Thank you for the encouragement.

Gary said...

Great shot again Loyce. Nothing like breaking out that tripod to get super fantastic photographs.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Gary. Actually, I didn't have my tripod with me for this shot. I sat on the ground and braced my elbows on my knees and got lucky.