Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fountain in Downtown St Petersburg

I spotted this fountain in downtown St Petersburg on my way home from our Saturday Photowalk Meetup while walking to my car. I'm not sure what the name of it is, or what it represents so I'll have to take another ride to it to find more information about it.

This parking garage was kind of scary since it is in South St Petersburg, which is not in a very desirable neighborhood, and it was late at night and my car was the only car on this level. I was pretty nervous since I was all alone.

I drove to the opening where I spotted this fountain, took out my camera and snapped a couple photos of it quickly and got right back into my running car.

To give you an idea how tall this wall of water is, that figure at the bottom of the fountain is a woman standing there with her hands on her hips. You can also see the parking garage behind it along with several levels.

If I had more time, or wasn't so scared, I'd have made this photograph properly using my tripod and a slower shutter speed. I must go back during the day when there's more people and cars around.

Settings used to make this shot: First of all, I didn't use my tripod, I braced my elbows on a ledge to steady the camera. This was shot at F5.6 for 1/2 second, using ISO 400. My exposure compensation was set to +1/3 eV with partial metering. I used my 18-55mm lens set at 49mm. Had I used a tripod, I would've set the shutter speed to 1 or 2 seconds to blur the water more. However, I was all alone at 10:00 at night in an empty parking garage on St Pete's south side. I stepped out of my car quickly to make this shot and got back in to my running car where I'd be safe.

9 comments:

Mango said...

Loyce, I love this shot but your text caused me to be at odds with its beauty. My first reaction was grace, serenity and peacefulness--it caused me to lower my eyes like a cat when it purrs--but when I read your text, I found myself anxious with suspense and fear. Please go back some day and shoot it again!

lanefl said...

Loyce, It was the garage of the Signature building. The building I shot recently. You were lucking to get a shot of the fountain, they hardly ever have it running. Not enought people have bought there and many are leting their options go on it. There was a story recently on TV about it.
Great shot! Having the person in front is nice gives you perspective of how tall it is. Elaine

Unknown said...

Margo, I definitely will go back and shoot it again. I'd like to know more information about it. This time, though, I won't go alone, or I'll go during the day. It's so beautiful.

Thank you for your very nice comment.

Unknown said...

Elaine, I'd love to know more about this. When you were there, was there any information about it on a sign or somewhere? Does it have a significant meaning? Will you go back with me to shoot it again? Maybe I can find out more on the net since I now know the name of the building it's on.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Unknown said...

I just found this information on the net. These are condos--can you believe it? Here are the facts:
he building's slim design resembles a gossamer sail.
Before construction began, the St. Petersburg Times deemed the building's design "one of its (Saint Petersburg's) most unusual" proposals for downtown.
The slim profile minimizes intrusion upon bayside views of neighboring high-rises.
The building has 220 foundation caissons.
On Saturday, March 3, 2007, a 120 concrete truck convoy will facilitate a concrete pour of 33,000 cubic feet of concrete.
Will surpass Bank of America Tower as St. Petersburg's tallest upon completion.
In contrast to traditional rectangular or square designs, the building allows every resident a clear view of the water.
The building will feature the world's tallest water wall, measuring 64 feet (19.5 meters) and falling from the top of the 6-story parking garage into a public/private park at ground level.
The innovative design was the brainchild of Ralph Johnson, chief designer for Perkins + Will in Chicago.

Jim S said...

This is so nice, and I agree that the human element among the architecture and technology strikes a nice balance. Nice work, especially considering your hurried and nervous shooting circumstances. Your shot immediately inspired me to think that I want to shoot it too but now that I read the comment from Elaine I suspect that with my luck I would make the trip only to find it turned off.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jim. I'd love to shoot it again, and it would be fun to shoot it with you. Maybe we can schedule something with you and Kathy. I can go ahead and check to see if its running before you both come all the way to St Pete, or if it's not running, maybe we can find other stuff for a night shoot here, in St Pete.

Sharon Simms said...

As I understand it, the infrequent running of the water wall is due to area water restrictions.

The garage you were in is primarily used by the offices in the adjacent building. I'd feel safe on the sidewalks there by Signature Place, but like you, to be nearly alone in a parking garage can be scary. The parking meters on the sidewalk spaces there are only enforced up until 6 pm, so next time you may want to just park on the street.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sharon. I'm definitely going to give that a try. At 10:00 at night and the only car in the garage, I was pretty uneasy. I'd have felt a whole lot better if I wasn't alone.