Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hairy Woodpecker

All I've been doing since Monday is shooting babies and more babies with, guess what?--a Nikon. If you ever want to tick off a Canon shooter, give them a Nikon and tell them they have to work with it.

I shoot babies for a living, and until Monday, we had a mobile photo studio to use at the hospital. Our company is growing and we are replacing our mobile studios in all our hospitals with Nikon cameras. Actually, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression--this is a good thing, and one I've wanted for a long time for my hospital.

But, it is very hard to use a Nikon since I've never used one in my life and everything is backwards. It's like Nikon and Canon got together and said, "OK, we're the top two camera companies for pros, so we're not only going to compete, we're going to do every opposite so our pros will remain loyal to their brand". It's uncanny how different the two cameras are. The lenses mount by turning in opposite directions, so do their zoom controls. Where Canon uses a wheel, Nikon uses a 5-way button, Canon's menus are in a horizontal motion to go from one series to another, while Nikon is vertical. About the only things I've found in the same place and that work the same are the shutter button and viewfinder. I'll bet they couldn't figure out how to make those different. It's just so weird. I like it though (did I just say that?). Canon and Nikon are both excellent cameras. One can't be knocked above the other and each photographer has his/her preference to how they like the feel and how each camera works.

I'm going to shut up about this rant for now and get on with my photo. Since I hadn't made any new photos since the butterfly day except for babies, I'll share with you this cute little Hairy Woodpecker. He was taken on the same day as the butterflies I just shot. He was so busy working hard to get his snack that he really didn't pay much attention to me at all so I was able to get fairly close. The lighting was poor, but I couldn't walk away from this show no matter what the lighting was like.

This was shot at 1/60th at F7.1 (my lenses sharpest aperture), +1/3 eV, ISO 400, partial metering because there was a lot of light directly behind him, at 250mm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

'Shooting babies'! That sounds a little odd, but I know what you do for a living. Great post Loyce about your unique experience with the two different systems. For a brief time, I too, was shooting Nikon and Canon simultaneously. Eventually it got to be too much to keep up with and I sold my Rebel XTi Canon and signed my life away to Nikon. While I think the whole Canon vs. Nikon debate is just a bunch of hot air, I still really do need to know: which one do you think is better?

Unknown said...

Thank you, Gary. Personally, I don't think one is better than the other. The one thing Nikon has over the Canon though, is its lenses. It doesn't change their mount, so the older lenses (built much better in my opinion) can still be used on the new Nikons, while Canon still changes their mounts. Even with the current mounts take the EF and the EF-S lenses. They are current and the EF-S lens cannot be used with any of the upper level cameras. I think that's a rip-off to Canon's loyal users.