Sunday, September 13, 2009

Daybreak at the Safety Harbor Pier

You'll probably be seeing a lot of Safety Harbor through my blog in the coming weeks. I'm currently working on a project to update the Safety Harbor website and for their magazine.

This is the Safety Harbor Pier taken from the Safety Harbor Marina. I've probably taken thousands of photos at this site over the last 1 1/2 years of going there every week for our regular meetups. Of all of them, this one is definitely my favorite. It was worth the effort to get up early to capture something like this.

Speaking of getting up early, I was supposed to meet my friend, Jim, there this morning at "first light". I got up, looked at my watch before putting on my eye glasses, and took off out of the door and drove like a maniac to Safety Harbor so I wouldn't miss the sunrise. Just as I was rounding the corner to the marina, I noticed the clock in the car and it said, 5:50 am. I actually got up at 5:00 instead of 6:00! So, here I was an hour early. How funny.

The settings used to capture this image were at ISO 200 (to avoid noise and to ensure a long exposure to blur the water), F16 to maximize depth of field and sharpness, at 5 seconds. The area is very well lit, so without an ND filter, I couldn't get a longer exposure. I probably could have pushed the aperture to F22 or more, but I didn't want to have to deal with sensor dust, which would get magnified at that level.

4 comments:

Mango said...

For the thousandth shot, you make the pier look fresh and magnificent. This photo makes me want to walk out over the water this very moment to feel the air and serenity.

Unknown said...

Oh, thank you so much, Margo. It was definitely worth having to get up so early.

Jim S said...

This is gorgeous. I love the effect a slow shutter speed has on moving water. Excellent composition and a beautiful color palette in this one.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. It was so worth getting up early to get this shot--especially with mother nature's cooperation.