Monday, September 28, 2009

Tricolored Heron

This Tricolored Heron was sitting at the edge of this pond the same morning I was out with my friends looking for Deer. Although my trip was primarily to hunt and capture Deer photos, I'm not one to pass up a bird shot.

This fellow was very accommodating. He was so busy gazing out over the water, I don't think he noticed me, because I was able to fire off several shots from several angles before I made him nervous enough to fly to the other side of the water.

The trick to bird photography is pretty much the same as for all wild life. Don't run up on them, instead move slowly toward them. Take a few shots from far away so he sees what you're doing isn't hurting them. Crouch down, as low as possible, so you appear less threatening. As you move closer, go even slower. Try not to appear to be stalking them as a hunter or a predator would. If the bird looks at you, look away and pretend you're not watching them. They'll think you're probably stalking something else. Practice your panning technique before your big hunting day, so you'll capture him in flight should he fly off. Be patient and you'll get the shots you want.

Settings used for this image were: Aperture Priority mode with partial metering on the Heron at 400 ISO for speed in case he flew off, and continuous shooting mode. Shutter set at 1/40th at F7.1, the sweet spot on my lens and 0 exposure compensation at 250mm with my 55-250mm IS lens.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

Looks like this is the week for birds! I learned about this species this weekend. Very pretty bird.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I love their colors.

Mango said...

Great shot, Loyce. What a handsome fellow--nice feathery detail too. I loved your advice for getting wildlife to trust you--your vast collection of birds and animals proves it works. I particularly liked advice about higher ISO speed because I have lots of blurry winged escapes!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I hope it helps.