Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Safety Harbor Marina

Monday nights at the Marina, my photography club has their weekly meetup. While some of us shoot photos, most of us don't; we just sit around trading tips and techniques.

This Monday night, I saw these amazing clouds and liked the way they formed a semi-circle with the reflections in the water. I knew this called for a wide-angle lens. I love the way this came out. Usually, I have to tweak stuff a little bit in Lightroom and/or Photoshop. I didn't touch this one, other than resizing.

Funny thing, I like it and it's not really my style at all. I hardly ever use a wide angle unless I have to. I'm beginning to think it's time to explore what I can do with this lens.

Settings used for this image were 1/250th at F10 using 200 ISO and +1/3 exposure compensation with partial metering off the water to be sure I'd capture the reflections of the clouds at 18mm with my 18-55mm lens. The shot was made at 5:15 pm.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

I always keep an eye out for nice reflections and this is a good one. I like the distinct graphic pattern of the boat masts that is overlaid into the natural pattern of the sky and clouds.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I'm really happy with the way this came out. Those clouds really made this image for me and it's totally different than any way I've photographed this marina.

Mango said...

Awesome reflection, Loyce--really pleasing to the eye. Balanced and patterned, wide and round...the Marina at its best. You should use that wide-angle lens more often!

Unknown said...

I agree, I need to use it a lot more often in the future. Thank you for your ever so nice comment, Margo.