Sunday, September 20, 2009

Muscovy Chick

This little Muscovy chick was trying to keep up with his mother. He looked so cute with those huge feet, trying to run and waddling at the same time. It's amazing how big their feet are as soon as they're hatched. They grow into them rapidly, but they just look so clumsy at this stage.

This was taken during a project for the City of Safety Harbor. One of the places to see is the Safety Harbor Linear Greenway. I've gone by it so many times on my way to our meetups at the Marina. Every time I go by it, I think that I really need to stop there for pictures. This time I finally stopped and was happy I did. This photo, of course, is not one of the ones for the city. I just love to photograph birds and the babies are just so cute, I can never resist them.

The settings for this image were 1/30th of a second at F7.1 in aperture priority mode at ISO 200. I used partial metering off the duckling and opened up 1 stop to be sure I'd get detail in his eye and dark feathers. It was taken in the early evening at about 5:00 pm under a cloudy sky.

2 comments:

Mango said...

Clearly babies are irresistible to you, Loyce! You must come to WV this spring during lambing season! Also, will you show me where the Greenway is?

Unknown said...

I'd be happy to show you where it is. I'd like to spend more time there. Someone told me it goes all the way to the Long Center. I don't know where the Long Center is, but I'm going to find out.

I'd love to come to WV during lambing season. It sounds like a great time.