Thursday, September 3, 2009

Eastern Screech Owl

I spottrd this little guy sitting on the high tension wire in my backyard last nught about 11:30. I wish he had turned his head, but after waiting a long time, I let him win and took the picture the way he was looking. I didn't dare move around too much, because I didn't want to scare him away.

I attached my flash and turned down my flash exposure by -2 stops so it wouldn't be so harsh. It was still a bit bright, but i was able to tone it down in Lightroom. I used ISO 400, F6.3 in Aperture Priority Mode. The focal length of my 55-250mm lens was tapped all the way out at 250mm. In Lightroom, I cropped it to get a larger image of the little Owl and toned down the exposure. After removing the noise, I was done.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

Nice capture with great detail. I can never get a clear view of the ones at my house. Whenever I do spot them they are up in my oak trees and usually at least partially obscured by foliage. I always laugh when I hear them screeching at me from their perch. Usually that's how I know find out that they are there in the first place. I like the profile look with that one big eye in this shot.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I've never heard them screech. Maybe I just don't pay attention. I only wish his beak was visible. :)

Mango said...

What a cute little monster!

Unknown said...

He sure is a little cutie.