Friday, September 4, 2009

Roseate Spoonbill

There's a lot to said about never having to leave your own yard to get photos of beautiful birds like this one. I think I've mentioned this before, but every day I challenge myself to make at least one decent photo a day. This is today's bird. It's not always feasible to go out to find photo opportunities. Sometimes you just have to look right under your nose.

Actually, I was trying to get one or two of the Red-shouldered Hawks that have taken up residence in the Camphor tree right over my roof. There's three of them living there, and the problem is they stay on the branch right over my door, so they spot me as soon as I come out. They've been hanging around here all week, staying on the same branch. It is driving me insane that I can't get a shot off one of them. I'm not sure if they hear the alarm beeping when I open my door or if they hear the door opening, but they wait until I come out then glide right over my head. They don't even bother to screech at me.

This afternoon, I came out without my camera for a change, and one of them stayed on the branch. He looked down at me and stayed there as long as I was talking to him. So I thought, maybe I can just duck in and grab my camera. As soon as I came out with the camera, he glided off. I still didn't get the shot off! They are really starting to get me frustrated. I'm determined to get them though.

For now, I'll just have to pacify myself with this Roseate Spoonbill; not that it's that bad getting a shot at one these beautiful birds.

No comments: