Friday, June 26, 2009

The Marriott Tampa

I went out with my friends for a night shoot with Jim Sykes. You can find his photos here:

We went to several places in Tampa that are his favorite places to go. We started at The University of Tampa (UT), Plant Hall, then went to Harbor Island and over to Davis Island.

I forgot my tripod in my car and rode over to the islands in Jim's truck. I was very lucky to get the images since it was nighttime and I had to hand hold my camera. I solved the problem for the most part by balancing my camera on whatever stable device I could find and by using my Image Stabilized lens (IS), my new 55-250mm with a high ISO and shooting in bursts of 3 shots. The reason I chose bursts was because the first shot, I'm depressing the shutter button which causes a downward motion on my camera, the second shot, (no motion) I'm still holding the button down, while the last shot I'm releasing the shutter button causing an upward motion. The second shot was the sharpest.

This shot was taken around 9:30 pm after twilight. I balanced my camera on one of the poles around the fence on the sidewalk above the water. Most of the other shooters shot from below on a floating dock with their tripods.

In my opinion, this was the best of the 3 I shot. I chose to use a Fluorescent White Balance setting because all the lights, the sky and the water appeared kind of brownish yellow. I like the cool tones the white balance adjustment gave me.

So, there you have it for today. A little lesson combined with a nice image.

2 comments:

Jim S said...

You should have said something, I had a tripod in my truck and never touched it. I mainly wanted to help everyone else out that was there and didn't want to be encumbered with it. You would have been welcome to use it. (I made do with my bean bag and my gorilla-pod for the night.) By the way I like your artistic choice of a cooler white balance for this shot.

Unknown said...

That's OK. I did all right without it by balancing my camera and leaning.

Thank you, Jim. This was on Fluorescent White Balance. I liked the look of this rendition.

That's one of the benefits of shooting RAW. If you don't like what you get, you can always change it in post-processing. This one was done in camera.