Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Southeastern Lubber Grasshopper

This guy was really munching on this little wild flower. He didn't even budge a bit when I put my lens in his face. He must've been enjoying his meal.

If you live in Florida, then you're used to these huge guys; but for those of you who live up North, you can't imagine how big these grasshoppers are. They're too big to fly, so they have to walk everywhere.

Floridians see them everywhere this time of year. They'll walk down the sidewalk right next to you. They're all over your garden, in the grass like this guy was; everywhere.

Did you ever wonder where the movie makers of yesterday get their ideas for monsters? Have you ever looked at a bug up close? These are yesterday's monsters. I don't like bugs, but I love to photograph them. They're so interesting and I love their colors. I think what gets to me is that when I photograph them, I can see stuff I can't see with my naked eye; not even with my bifocals. They move too fast to look at them with a magnifying glass, and I can't (well, I can, but I won't) kill them to look at them under a microscope, so the camera is the best thing. Cool, aren't they?

No comments: