Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

These little kids said it all for me, between the little girl's dress and everyone carrying flags. This is Patriotism! I like the young girl's expression on her face as she talks to the boys. It's so typical at that age. These girls were part of the huge crowd at the Safety Harbor 4th of July Celebration. It seems that everyone in Pinellas County was there for the big event.

Of course, the 4th wouldn't be complete without fireworks and there were plenty of them! I've just posted one of my favorite shots of the evening, but there were many. It was hard to find a place to set up away from the crowds, but my friends, Lyman and Tony managed to find a good spot where no one could get in front of us. They even spoke with one of the people responsible for the fireworks show, so we'd know which direction they were going off. It made it easier to set up our cameras in advance.

I started the show with my 55-250mm lens, but soon found out it would be too long. I quickly switched to my 18-55mm lens to shoot the remaining fireworks. They were shot into the sky fast and furious and it was a magnificent display. There were 14 of us from my photography group all together and we had a great time.

I set my camera on ISO 200, F16 and the Bulb setting for the shutter speed. I manually counted off the seconds, with predominately white colors for less than a second, red about 2 seconds and blue 3 seconds. It worked pretty well.

5 comments:

Jim S said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I haven't taken time out to shoot fireworks in quite some time myself. I like the crisp look that you got with the tight aperture.

Mango said...

This is how the Pros do it! Magnificent!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim and Margo. It was a lot of fun and I had a lot of rejects, but this one is one of my favorites.

Bob Towery said...

Great fireworks shot. These are harder than one would think, aren't they? Well done.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Bob. They sure are a lot harder than they look. I appreciate the comment.