Thursday, July 9, 2009

What is This?

Of all the time I've been on nature trails and for how long I've lived in Florida, I've seen these on trees many times, but for the life of me can't figure out what these are, or what kind of tree this is?

I'm so confused about this because I don't know if this is a flower bud, a nut, a fruit or what. I'm posting it here in hopes that someone who sees it can identify it.

I love the furry texture when I touch them, and I think they're beautiful--what ever they are. They are in bloom now and I'm in St Petersburg, FL.

Any help to identify this would be appreciated. I can't even Google it because I don't know if it's a flower, a nut or a fruit. It's pretty hard to Google something if you don't know what it is.

2 comments:

Jim S said...

My friends and I used to have great fun climbing in one of these trees when I was young but I have no idea what it's called. The flowers and their buds were large and beautiful. Nice image of one of the buds. This brought back some memories.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I found out what it is. It's a Magnolia Seed Pod. Someone on Twitter answered me and I double-checked it on Google images.