Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cloudscape

This one's for my friend, Jim. I know how much he loves cloudscapes. I saw this one last night on my Newbie Meetup. We were walking through the park and the clouds just started to come in.

I spotted this one and for once didn't play the walk-up shooter. I actually walked around looking for the best vantage point to shoot it. Most of the time, I see something, shoot it and walk away, satisfied. I've been trying to slow down and actually look for the shot. I think I got it this time.

I had to shoot this one just right because there were a lot of trees in the way. I first thought about shooting it between the trees, but they just didn't look right. Maybe since I'm teaching this group, it's making me slow down as well. I need to practice what I preach.

This was a straight shot in the camera. It was taken just before sunset in aperture priority mode at F5, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400, -1/3 Ev at 55mm with partial metering directly off the sky.

In post-processing I darkened the blue a little bit and added saturation. I also darkened the tree on the right side. Nature did the rest.

2 comments:

Jim S said...

Hah! I looked at the pic and thought to myself that it looks like something I would shoot. Then I read the accompanying commentary and got a chuckle. You know me all too well! Nice shot.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I knew you'd like it.:)