Monday, July 13, 2009

Squirrel Treefrog

This very small (about 1 1/2 at most) was sitting on the little leaf near the boardwalk at Lettuce Lake Park in Tampa, FL.

I would like to have gotten a front view, but I was limited by the boardwalk; and after about 10 minutes and the Ranger telling me twice the boardwalk was closed, I had to take what I could. He was sitting roughly 15 ft away when I made this shot with my 55mm-250mm IS lens. I think I cropped about 20% off the original to produce this final image.

This image was taken at about 8:00 pm under a heavy canopy of trees in pretty low light conditions. I set the ISO to 400, I could've gone higher, but I knew I'd have to crop it and I wanted to introduce as little noise as possible. I chose to use F9 to get a little more depth of field and was forced to hand hold my camera because I didn't bring my tripod at 1/40th of a second. The lens was racked all the way out at 250mm. I'm very fortunate to have pulled this one off. I shot it in a burst of 3, knowing the 2nd one would probably be the sharpest, since I wasn't pushing or letting go of the shutter button.
Post a Comment