Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blue Dasher Dragonfly

I found this guy flitting around on the leaves of my Amaryllis flowers. I love their cute, little faces and have always had a fascination with dragonflies. This one is a male Blue Dasher.

He sits there, not seeming to mind me making his photo. I keep watching his little head turn to look at me every few seconds, but he doesn't seem afraid.

Do you ever wonder where all the "monsters" come from in the horror movies of yesterday? I've been photographing bugs for about 10 years now, and, as you can see, I get up close and personal with them. After photographing different bugs for so long, I began to remember how the monsters looked in the movies I used to watch and kept thinking, where in the world do these guys get their ideas. I've finally figured it out. They take closeup and/or macro photos of different kinds of bugs, and use their faces and other features to create their monsters. Just check out some monster movies and see if I'm right.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

I have to say I always enjoy your plant and animal photos. I've learned the correct names of a lot of species from reading your blog. "Blue Dasher" is another one on that list. I'm always impressed by both the photographs and the information that goes along with them.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Jim; much appreciated.

Mango said...

Jim is so right. I feel the same way. I love the way you show us and then tell us the detail. It must be the photo journalist in you. Thanks, Loyce--you've added another one to my list too!

Unknown said...

You're welcome, Margo. You're right, it probably IS the photojournalist in me.

Thank you for the encouragement and for your nice comments.