Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bald Eagle

While I'm recovering from my broken foot, I had to cut my hours at work, so I have some extra time on my hands. Today I went to check on a local Eagle nest. The Eaglets are getting bigger and the word is that they're ready to fledge. I didn't see the Eaglets today at all. I probably went at the wrong time.

This is either the mother or father; I think they look the same--at least to me, they do. She/he was preparing to take flight, so I waited and waited and got lucky. As luck would have it, I got the second shot just as she/he was lifting off. There's some motion blur due to panning to keep her in my viewfinder. They lift off so fast.

Their nest is huge! It's hard to tell from these shots, but it's enormous. I'll be sad when they leave the nest. It's been a lot of fun watching them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shots Loyce! We have/had a nest below Tierra Verde, but I think the eagles were young and just 'playing house'. Hopefully as the next few years pass, we will have quite the view watching them. Linda

Unknown said...

Thank you, Linda. Hopefully, you'll be able to see them next nesting season. I think Eagles nest twice a year, but I could be wrong.

Mango said...

Outstanding, Loyce! Your photos give me goosebumps--seeing these majestic birds up close, through your lens. Really thrilling! And you are right about the enormous nests--a naturalist told me they can be 10 feet in diameter and weigh as much as one ton! Great post!

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you so much, Margo. Your comment is making me blush.

Anonymous said...

this is a grate picture.