Monday, March 22, 2010

Red-bellied Woodpecker

While watching the Eagles last week, I was distracted by the call of this Red-bellied Woodpecker in a nearby tree. Being the bird lover that I am, I figured since nothing much was happening with the Eaglets, I'd go check out the call.

Well lo and behold, I found him perching in this tree calling what I assume is his mate, since this is Spring. He let me get fairly close, so I could get this shot. Then he took off as soon as he spotted the camera pointed in his direction; but not until I was able to get this nice shot of him. He was an obliging little fella.

There's something in me that just won't let me ignore the call of a bird--any bird. I hear it, I need to get a shot of it. It's just that simple.

2 comments:

Mango said...

What a nice shot to wake up to! I love the way he cocks his little head to check you out. Nice detail and color. I like the way he is juxtaposed against his natural habitat. It's great that you are so drawn to birds--we followers love it!

Unknown said...

Thank you for such a nice comment, Margo. I liked the way his head is cocked also; but I have to remind you that this is not considered top-notch photography because the bird isn't directly looking at me. I think that's a bunch of malarkey, personally.

It makes me happy to know that I'm giving you all something that you like to see. :)