Sunday, March 21, 2010

Playing Around With HDR

This scene was made at John Chestnut Park in Palm Harbor. If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you know I love to photograph bridges and I love this one.

The scene was kind of bleak, so I decided to play around with it in Photomatix. It was a 3-shot combination at eV +1, 0 and -1. I combined the RAW files in Photomatix, then brought it back into Lightroom to tweak it a bit more.

While I'm not a fan of artsy HDR, I do like natural-looking HDR and this was the effect I was going for here. I've posted this before, but not on this blog. I would like a good critique from some of you other photographers out there. I'm particularly interested in what your initial impression of the shot is and any suggestions you can think of that would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance. I'm looking forward to your response.

3 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

I think this is perfect! You have achieved a very realistic HDR image, one that doesn't look like HDR at all.... just a lovely scene with beautiful exposure and color.

Jim S said...

Looks good, not pushed too far. That's how I like it as well. Hard to judge critically at small web size. Based on how it looks on my calibrated monitor I would tone down the yellow cast just a bit and shift the sky color. Very scenic location you chose for this shot.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Karen and Jim. I thought it looked like the water and sky had a bit too much cyan and not enough blue. So, Jim you had it right.

I appreciate both your comments. We never learn a thing when people say, "nice picture". I feel the best way to learn is by honest critiques and good suggestions.

Thank you both. :)