Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chicks First Day Out

Every year the Mallards, Mottled and Black Ducks come here to mate, raise their families and fly back to where ever they go once the chicks have fledged. And, every year we have a few more with the ones who survive.

This year is no exception. They always nest in the same place and they always bring their chicks to each lawn on their first day out. Last Saturday was their big day--or debut, so to speak. I was sitting on the patio when this Mottled pair spotted me and brought their chicks over to meet me. They're just so adorable. Be sure to click on the photo to bring up a larger size so you can really check out these cute little chicks. This must be one of the pairs who fledged last year, because the brood is so small. Usually, they have 12-15 chicks and only 4 or 5 make it before the 'gators and Hawks get them. So far, I've seen all 5 every day this week, so they're safe for now. I don't know how many will make it this year. Within about 3 - 4 weeks, they'll be as big as the mother. They grow so fast. For now, I'll just enjoy the cute little peeps I hear when they visit.

7 comments:

Mango said...

Beautiful story accompanying a heartwarming photo! I love Mother Duck in the center of the frame and fuzzy ducklings' reflections in still water, Papa bringing up the rear. Beautiful patterns of in their feathers too. May all five make it! I hope you'll show us how quickly they grow.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I wait every year to see these ducks come back. I'm always excited to see their cute little chicks, too.

I will definitely be posting more photos as they grow--providing the 'gators don't get them first. I sure hope not.

Jim S said...

Who doesn't like fuzzy little ducklings? I hope these guys avoid the predators. Nice contrast in colors in this shot, very vibrant and cheery to look at.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. They're so cute.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
What Karen Sees said...

This is so lovely, and Jim is right...Who doesn't love fuzzy little ducklings!!! The beautiful color of the water compliments this perfect family photo.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. I hope I see them again soon. I'm really worried about the little ducklings.