Monday, March 29, 2010

Bald Eagle

I guess it must seem to you all that I'm on another bird kick again. This is another shot of the Bald Eagle guarding her nest here in St Pete. I still haven't been able to get off a good shot of her Eaglets. According to my friend, Jim, they still haven't fledged as of last week. He was able to catch the Eaglets and one of them is still too small to fledge. I just have to get there early enough when they're feeding so I can catch a shot of them.

I have tomorrow morning off, so if I can get a decent night's sleep I'll be heading there first thing when I get up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a shot of her babies.

We've been having some bad weather here again and both days I was off, it was raining. I sure hope I can get over there in the morning.

Update on my little Mottled Duck family: I haven't seen any of them since their first day out. I'm beginning to worry. I'm hoping to see them tomorrow while I'm off. Wish me luck--or rather, wish them luck. There's so many Hawks and that 'gator here I'm praying they'll make it long enough to fledge.

That's it for me tonight. If I'm going to get up early, I'll have to go to bed early.

6 comments:

Gary said...

Good luck to you and the little mottled ducks!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Gary.

Mango said...

I really like this shot--Mr. Eagle looking directly at you (points!)and the way the long needles fan out--great depth of field! Wow, look how much I have learned!!! I'm standing by for eaglet shots--good luck!!! The babies from the pair that nest on my mountain in WV don't fledge until the end of May but I can't get close enough to the nest so it's up to you! Please find those baby ducks....I'm worried too!

Unknown said...

I still haven't seen the ducklings, but I did get the baby Eaglets. I'll be posting them tonight.

I sure hope I see the ducklings. I'm really getting worried.

What Karen Sees said...

This mama (or daddy), is certainly giving you the 'eagle eye'! Can't wait to see the babies. What focal length were you using for this shot? I love your bird photos.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen. I'll be posting the photos of the babies tonight.

I'm using a 55-250mm lens full out. I'm saving for the 100-400mm. Luckily I'm able to get really close to them. They're in a cemetery and used to people. I sit right next to the tree and they're not bothered at all. At any given time, there are usually about 4 or 5 photographers there photographing them.