Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lemon Macro

During our regular Monday Night Meetup a couple weeks ago, we were all fooling around with macro photography at the Safety Harbor Grille after dinner.

One of our members, Lyman, made a macro using the bottom of a glass. That started the ball rolling. We were photographing everything left on the table. I got out my Tamron 90mm macro lens and joined in on the fun.

This lemon is one of my favorite shots from the evening. It was garnishing a glass of water, so I had to be careful not to include the glass.

This shot was made hand held inside the restaurant patio at ISO 800, because of the low light and the lack of a tripod to steady the camera, 1/250 at F8 for better depth of field in aperture priority mode with partial metering on the lemon and used the on-camera flash at -1 stop so it wouldn't wash out. I'm thrilled at how well it came out considering the circumstances.

The great thing about digital is that it costs nothing to experiment. This is one shot, I'd have probably passed up because of the low lighting conditions and the lack of tripod.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

I like this, it's just the sort of thing I would do myself.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate your comment.

Mango said...

Now you've got me interested too! I really like all the detail--it's almost like you can see the cells of this lemon slice. Great experiment--keep it going!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. It's amazing what you can see with macro photography. You can see things that the human eye cannot.

We can work together on developing your macro skills when you have time. It's fun and it's interesting.