Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ballast Point Pier

Several of my students mentioned this place to me, so I decided to check it out for myself. They told me I could get great shots of the Tampa skyline from this park.

I don't think the view of the Tampa skyline from this park is that great, compared to other places have been; but I like this pier. If you are one of my followers, you know I love to photograph piers and bridges.

I tried this shot in HDR, but since I'm not that great at HDR, I ended up deleting it and just using the file as it came out of my camera. I particularly like the starbursts on the lights and the way they shine on the water as well as the silhouetted rocks in the foreground. It's difficult to see, but in the background are limestone mines and quarries. I've never seen them before and had to ask another photographer what they were. Now I'm wondering where exactly the quary is so I could possibly drive there to photograph it.

Settings used for this shot on my tripod-mounted Canon 40D were, ISO 200 to keep digital noise to a minimum, 4 seconds at F16 -2 stops exposure compensation. F16 provided the Depth of Field, while the 4 second exposure smoothed out the water somewhat. This was shot at 55mm with my 55-250mm IS lens.

6 comments:

Mango said...

I LOVE this pier too, Loyce--the starbursts! the lighting on the water and on the first shelter...then the hint of the second shelter sitting mysteriously beyond. Good to listen to your students! Nice find!

Unknown said...

I do like the pier, I just wasn't impressed by the view of Tampa. It is a nice park, though.

Thank you for your nice comment. You know I love to photograph piers and bridges. They're some of my favorite subjects.

Jim S said...

Nice night shot of the pier. I like the reflections of the lights in the moving water.
The skyline is quite some distance from there and not very prominent in any compositions unless you use a somewhat long lens which in turn flattens the perspective. Yeah, not a great place for skyline shots.

I'm not aware of any limestone quarries on the east side of the bay. There are a few shell pits but you can't distinguish them from Ballast point. From this angle though you should see a couple of very prominent gypsum stacks on the east side of the bay near Gibsonton. The gypsum is a byproduct of the phosphate refinement process and there is a large refinery across the bay from here at the mouth of the Alifia River.

Unknown said...

The Gypsum stacks are probably what I saw. It's possible the guy I spoke with had no idea what he was talking about. I'm wondering if that would be a cool place to shoot. Gibsonton is not that far away.

One of these days, I'll have to go look for it.

Thank you for your comment and education, Jim. I can always depend on you to get the right information. :)

Emanuele "Manny" Pontoriero said...

Nice lighting and composition. I don't get around to doing much scenery but always appreciate a really good shot. Well done.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Manny. I'm honored that you like my photo. Very much appreciated. :)