Monday, November 16, 2009

Paper Wasp

This image was made at my regular Monday Night meetup. While photographing Monarch caterpillars, I noticed this Paper Wasp on this Butterfly Weed bush. He appears to be eating aphids or some kind of larvae.

This bush is covered with aphids, caterpillars, eggs and various sorts of minute creatures that can't be easily seen with the naked eye.

Even with the wind by the water, I managed to hand hold my 90mm macro lens in one hand while holding onto the stem of the bush to keep it still with the other hand. It was no easy feat, but I got the job done. I'm pretty proud of myself for that one. :)

Paper Wasps are much more tolerant of people and minor disturbances than are hornets and yellow jackets, which means they're less apt to sting according to the Audubon Field Guide to Insects and Spiders. All I know is I was pretty close to this guy, and he completely ignored me.

Settings used for this image ISO 400 to help get a fast shutter speed and to stop any movement, flash to get more light on the insect, and also to arrest movement, aperture priority, partial metering on the wasp, 1/250 at F9 for better depth of field--especially with a macro lens at 90mm.

4 comments:

Jim S said...

This is the time of year when the paper wasp colonies produce the males to start a new reproductive cycle. They are non-aggressive and don't even have a stinging apparatus. Your description of the encounter makes it sound like you probably were photographing a male and were safe.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. Between the two of us, we'll have all the information we need about Florida's natural life. Great info!

Bill D said...

I love paper wasps. My favorite is the Polistes Annuaris. If you want to know more about me, check out my website at http://www.billdentomology.com.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Bill. I;ll check out your site.